(from Susan Ash of the AKA) :
“Folks I will be on the road today but here are the recommendations the Center for Regulatory Effectiveness (CRE – www.thecre.com) sent in an awesome letter to the head of the DEA today. Someone did post the letter here in the group but I thought I’d summarize their asks. Our law firm will be sending a letter shortly as well. This is big news, this is a powerful organization, and it won’t make total sense unless you read the letter. Angela Ross can you make sure the letter goes in our files? OMB is our government’s Office of Management and Budget….
CRE is requesting that the DEA take the following actions, none of which prejudge the final status of Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine:
- Extend the effective date for placing kratom into schedule I until July, 1, 2017.
- Open a Federal Register notice-and-comment proceeding on placing kratom into Schedule I and inform the public that the DEA’s proposal is a “significant regulatory action” under Executive Order 12866 because it,
a) Has an annual effect on the economy of $100 million or more or
b) Creates a serious inconsistency with an action taken by another agency, FDA, orc) Raises novel legal and policy issues arising out of legal mandates.
- Submit the proposed listing to OMB for review pursuant to Executive Order 12866.
- Inform the US-Canada Regulatory Cooperation Council (RCC) via OMB of DEA’s intent to place kratom on schedule I and seek its comments.
- Conduct an interagency peer review of DEA’s science which lead to a Schedule I listing of kratom as required by the HISA requirements of the Data (Information) Quality Act.”
This is great new for Kratom activism. The Center for Regulatory Effectiveness is a POWERFUL government watchdog group formed by former White House officials.
We may win this battle yet. Keep up the fight!